A Denver Family's Adventure Through The Ups And Downs of Life



Saturday, April 24, 2010

Forney Museum of Transportation

We visited the Forney Museum today. It is located on Brighton Blvd. right next to the Denver Coliseum. This is the 3rd of the 10 that I am committed to visiting during my "101 Things in 1,001 Days" project.

The Forney Transportation Museum is a one-of-a-kind collection of over 500 exhibits relating to historical transportation. It began with antique cars, but soon expanded to include vehicles of all kinds. Some of these are familiar, while others spark the imagination.

The largest item in the museum is the Big Boy Locomotive, the most successful articulated steam locomotive ever built.

I wasn’t sure what I expected when we entered the door, but it was not as interesting as I had hoped for being a museum of transportation items. This museum is not as well-funded as it should be to draw in more patrons. I guess that I expected a few interactive displays and information about the items that are more sturdy than a music stand type display. It looks like they display everything that they could possibly display and overload them. What might bring people back is to have a rotating display of the items and/or make deals with other museums to loan vehicles between them.

I’d like to see what this museum could do with a higher fundraising effort.

Because Sam is too young to really appreciate the items now, we will bring him back when he is older, but there is no reason to do it often.

I posted a picture of Sam in one of the vehicles on his blog.
A Day in Sam's Life

1 comment:

  1. Hey!
    Nice to meet you!
    Come visit my blog and enter some giveaways!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting our family adventure.